CASOTE AND SAND CAVE including San Pietro al Monte
A slow but demanding excursion to discover the near and far past of this area at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo.
Difference in altitude: 400 m
Distance: 5 km
Real walking time: 3 hours and a half
Maximum altitude: 785 m a.s.l.
A circular itinerary at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo, not very easy and quite demanding starting from Pozzo hamlet in Civate where we will enjoy a light breakfast cooked with local farm products at Crotto del Capraio, which will give us energies required to face the walking excursion. On request, you can reserve local sandwiches for the packed lunch on the way: Beeee (goat cheese, local wild garlic and dried tomatoes) and Goloso (lard and local honey with walnuts).
The path runs up in the forest to see the well-restored casote which were once used by farmers as emergency shelter in case of sudden storms or to store tools to be used on pastures.
After reaching the viewpoint on Lecco and Annone Lake the paths become narrower and slightly exposed in some very short tracks. In a short time, we will reach San Pietro al Monte Basilica where we will rest and have lunch (packed lunch – fresh water source available).
Basilica cannot be visited for the moment.
The path down to Pozzo hamlet is rocky but easy, through forests and erratic boulders. We will reach the Sand cave, a hole in the rocky wall which cannot be visited but which will give us an idea of karst phenomenon.
Excursion ends in Pozzo hamlet.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Do not hesitate to contact the Guide.
Terrain: demanding attention; narrow rocky paths; Si consiglia uso di bastoncini da trekking. Trekking poles recommended for stability.
Gradient: moderate and costant to the max altitude. Difference in altitude 400 m.
Attention points: very short tracks slightly exposed which could cause dizziness. The presence of some bushes helps reducing such effect. Sure footedness is required.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 12 used to walk on mountain paths facing a slight to moderate difference in altitude (400 m). Sure footedness is required.
Trekking shoes required with gripping Vibram soles.
- Meeting point at 9.30am at Crotto del Capraio, Via Del Pozzo in Civate, which can be reached in 10 min walk from via dei Rii, along which you can park;
- Breakfast at the crotto, circular itinerary passing through Basilica di San Pietro al Monte the forest where the casote can be seen; packed lunch;
- Return through the forest and the sand cave (no entry allowed) at around 5.00pm to Pozzo hamlet.
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
Any fee paid will be considered valid as a voucher for the next excursion (except for foreign people).
Adult: € 18.00;
Children and teens less than 12-year-old accompanied by an adult: € 10,00
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group – AIGAE LO639; liability insurance.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance; free offer for the Basilica guided tour; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
EXTRA COSTS TO BE PAID ON SITE
7 € per person: breakfast including coffee or cappuccino, goat cheese cake, fruit juice (local products only);
On request, sandwiches to be reserved at the time of registration to the excursion: Beeee (goat cheese, local wild garlic and dried tomatoes) and Goloso (lard and local honey with walnuts).
FREE OFFER TO THE ASSOCIATON AMICI DI SAN PIETRO FOR THE GUIDED TOUR INSIDE THE BASILICA (ACCORDING TO CONTAINMENT MEASURES IN FORCE)
Reservation required WITHIN FRIDAY 28th MAY 2021,on the relevant link on my website www.trekandtste.it or by contacting me directly: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and mobile +39 347 04 05 703.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 15
Minimum age required 12. Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.com.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact email@example.com.
Pozzo hamlet and Crotto del Capraio can be reached on foot (10 min) from via dei Rii where you can park.
Take SS36 from Milano or Lecco; exit Civate
When sharing cars, please comply with the containment measures in force.
- hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material to walk safely in the woods.
- hiking poles considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy.
- backpack to carry personal belongings, spare clothing, and food and water supplies (at least 1.5 litres per person); drinkable water source at the Basilica, midway.
- packed lunch along the way (no mountain huts or water sources on the way);
- dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket).
Participants are requested to:
- wear their face masks when stopping or when meeting other trekkers coming from the opposite direction; it is not recommended to wear masks while walking but interpersonal distance must be guaranteed.
- take some spare masks with them.
- guarantee interpersonal distance while walking.
- avoid sharing private car for transportation.
- do not share food and beverage.
- read and sign participation rules which have been sent to you upon registration and to be given to the Guide on the day of the excursion.
- take some plastic bags with them to put personal sweaty clothes .