CASOTE AND SAND CAVE including San Pietro al Monte
A slow but demanding excursion to discover the near and far past of this area at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo.
ATTENTION: according to the rules in force, access to the Basilica is only allowed to people having the green pass. Anyway participation to the excursion and tatsing is allowed.
Difference in altitude: 400 m
Distance: 5 km
Real walking time: 3 hours and a half
Maximum altitude: 785 m a.s.l.
A circular, quite demanding, itinerary at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo, starting from Pozzo hamlet in Civate where we will enjoy a light breakfast cooked with local farm products at Crotto del Capraio, which will give us energies required to face the walking excursion. In addition, 2 small sandwiches will be given as an aperitif to enjoy during the path.
The path runs up in the forest to see the well-restored casote which were once used by farmers as emergency shelter in case of sudden storms or to store tools to be used on pastures.
After reaching the viewpoint on Lecco and Annone Lake the paths become narrower and slightly exposed in some very short tracks. In a short time, we will reach San Pietro al Monte Basilica where we will rest and have lunch (packed lunch – fresh water source available according to season).
Visit of the Basilica according to availability and rules in force.
The path down to Pozzo hamlet is rocky but easy, through forests and erratic boulders. We will reach the Sand cave, a hole in the rocky wall which cannot be visited but which will give us an idea of karst phenomenon.
Excursion ends in Pozzo hamlet.
POINTS OF INTERESTS
– Casote, recalling of a near past
– Basilica of San Pietro, a romanic jewel
– Sand cave and karst phenomen
– Tasting of local products
Terrain: demanding attention; narrow rocky paths; Si consiglia uso di bastoncini da trekking. Trekking poles recommended for stability.
Gradient: moderate and costant to the max altitude. Difference in altitude 400 m.
Attention points: Sure footedness is required.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 12 used to walk on mountain paths facing a slight to moderate difference in altitude (400 m). Sure footedness is required.
Trekking shoes required with gripping Vibram soles.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Do not hesitate to contact the Guide.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experiences closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point at 9.30am at Crotto del Capraio, Via Del Pozzo in Civate, which can be reached in 10 min walk from via dei Rii, along which you can park;
- Breakfast at the crotto, circular itinerary passing through Basilica di San Pietro al Monte the forest where the casote can be seen; packed lunch; visit of the Basilica according to rules in force;
- Return through the forest and the sand cave (no entry allowed) at around 5.00pm to Pozzo hamlet.
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
Any fee paid will be considered valid as a voucher for the next excursion (except for foreign people) – max validity 1 year from date of the excursion.
Adult: € 18.00;
Children and teens less than 12-year-old accompanied by an adult: € 10,00
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group – AIGAE LO639; liability insurance.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance; free offer for the Basilica guided tour; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
EXTRA COSTS TO BE PAID ON SITE
10 € per person: breakfast including coffee or cappuccino, goat cheese cake, apple juice (local products only); 2 small sanwiches with goat cheese, tomatoes and wild garlic pesto.
- Please prevent the Guide in case of special diet or allergies
FREE OFFER TO THE ASSOCIATON AMICI DI SAN PIETRO FOR THE GUIDED TOUR INSIDE THE BASILICA (VISIT ACCORDING TO CONTAINMENT MEASURES IN FORCE)
Reservation required WITHIN FRIDAY 24th SEPTEMBER 2021,on the relevant link on my website www.trekandtste.it or by contacting me directly: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and mobile +39 347 04 05 703.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 15
Minimum age required 12. Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.com.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact email@example.com.
Pozzo hamlet and Crotto del Capraio can be reached on foot (10 min) from via dei Rii where you can park.
Take SS36 from Milano or Lecco; exit Civate
When sharing cars, please comply with the containment measures in force.
- hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material to walk safely on any terrain and in any season.
- hiking poles recommanded considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy.
- backpack to carry personal belongings, spare clothing, and food and water supplies (at least 1.5 litres per person – source at the Basilica available according to season);
- packed lunch along the way (no mountain huts);
- dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain poncho in case of instable weather and summer storms.
Participants are requested to:
- wear face masks when inside;
- take some spare masks;
- always guarantee interpersonal distance.
- sharing private car for transportation according to rules in force;
- read and sign anti-covid forms on the day of the excursion;
- take some plastic bags to put personal sweaty clothes .