CASOTE AND SAND CAVE including San Pietro al Monte in Civate
A slow but demanding excursion to discover the near and far past of this area at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo. Casote are ancient shelters on pastures now well restored.
The itinerary is part of the project STORYTELLING BENCHES
Difference in altitude: 370m
Distance: 6 km
Maximum altitude: 639m a.s.l.
A circular, quite demanding, itinerary at the foot of Monte Cornizzolo, starting from Pozzo hamlet in Civate, where Crotto del Capraio can be found.
The path runs up in the forest to see the well-restored casote which were once used by farmers as emergency shelters in case of sudden storms or to store tools to be used on pastures.
After reaching the viewpoint on Lecco and Annone Lake the path becomes narrower and slightly exposed in some very short tracks; please, contact the guide in case of any doubt. In a short time, we will reach San Pietro al Monte Basilica where we will rest and have lunch (packed lunch – fresh water source available according to season).
Visit of the Basilica.
The path down to Pozzo hamlet is rocky but easy, through the forest and erratic boulders. We will reach the Sand cave, a hole in the rocky wall which cannot be visited but which will give us an idea of karst phenomenon.
Excursion ends in Pozzo hamlet.
POINTS OF INTERESTS
– Casote, recalling of a near past, typical of Triangolo Lariano
– Basilica of San Pietro, a romanic jewel (including visit to interiors)
– Sand cave and karst phenomen
– Tasting of local products (optional)
Terrain: demanding attention; narrow rocky paths; Si consiglia uso di bastoncini da trekking. Trekking poles recommended for stability.
Gradient: moderate and costant to the max altitude.
Attention points: Sure footedness is required.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 12 in good health conditions and used to walk on mountain paths facing a slight to moderate difference in altitude (400 m). Sure footedness is required.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Do not hesitate to contact the Guide.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experiences closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point at 9.15am at Crotto del Capraio, Via Del Pozzo in Civate, which can be reached in 10 min walk from via dei Rii, along which you can park; more free car parking in the area.
- Breakfast at the crotto;
- Circular itinerary to Basilica of San Pietro al Monte thorough the forest where the casote can be visited; packed lunch in Nature including some sandwiches by the Crotto; visit of the Basilica;
- Return through the forest and the sand cave (no entry allowed) at Crotto at around 4.30pm; final aperitif optional.
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
Any fees paid will be considered valid as a voucher (max validity 1 year) on the next excursion or refunded for foreign people.
No refund or voucher is allowed in case of cancellation from the participant on the previous day as well on the same day of the excursion.
Adult: € 20.00;
Children and teens less than 12-year-old accompanied by an adult: € 12,00
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group – AIGAE LO639; liability insurance.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance for participants; free offer for the Basilica guided tour; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
EXTRA COSTS TO BE PAID ON SITE
- 10 euros: breakfast including homemade cake, the, coffe or cappuccino and 1 sandwiche for lunch with cheese and wild garlic. PLEASE PREVENT THE GUIDE UPON REGISTRATION IN CASE YOU NEED DIFFERENT SANDWICH BECAUSE OF ALLERGIES OR DIET.
Please, inform the Guide in case of special diet or allergies upon registration.
- FREE OFFER TO THE ASSOCIATON AMICI DI SAN PIETRO FOR THE GUIDED TOUR INSIDE THE BASILICA (VISIT ACCORDING TO CONTAINMENT MEASURES IN FORCE)
Reservation required WITHIN Saturday 1st April 23,on the chart on my website www.trekandtste.it or by contacting me directly: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and mobile +39 347 04 05 703.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 15
Minimum age required 12. Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.com.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact email@example.com.
Pozzo hamlet and Crotto del Capraio can be reached on foot (10 min) from via dei Rii where you can park. More free car parkings further away.
Exit Civate SS36 from Milano or Lecco;
Car-pooling according to rules in force and sharing of costs among passengers.
- Please let me know in case you are willing to share your cars with people coming from your same area of residence in order to meet any requests.
- Hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material, to walk safely on any terrain and in any season.
- Hiking poles recommended considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy.
- Backpack to carry personal belongings, spare clothing, and food and water supplies (1.5 litres each; no huts or water sources along the way.
- Dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain poncho in case of unstable weather and summer storms;
- Duvet, gloves and wool cap in autumn;
Trekkers not adequately equipped will not be admitted to the excursion.
According to rules in force at the momento of the excursion