WEEKEND IN VALMALENCO TO ADMIRE FELLARIA GLACIER
Why a 2-day excursion? Because the glacier has to be admired in the morning, when it is peaceful and quiet and it offers all its majesty.
We will walk up to the hut on Saturday, along the path on the left of the Gera Lake, through the Alpe Val Poschiavina and Alpe Gembrè and we will then reach the lake where the glacier ends on Sunday morning, when paths are not crowded by trekkers.
Some rules are to be respected by trekkers as it is recommended along the path:
- IT IS FORBIDDEN TO COME CLOSE TO THE FRONT OF THE GLACIER AND TO THE LAKE RIVER;
- Respect wild animals and flowers;
- Dogs must be kept on a leash;
- Do not leave any kind of litter behind: paper, plastic food;
- Silence is one of Nature richness;
- This is a protected area: let’s live it and do not leave any sign.
Difference in altitude 400m
Distance km 6
Real walking time 3 hours
Max altitude 2338m a.s.l.
Difference in altitude 260 m ascent and 510m descent
Distance km 8,5
Real walking time 4 hours and a half
Max altitude 2595 m a.s.l.
Fellaria glacier lies at 3550 m of altitude ona a plateau, where snow dosn’t melt during summer guaranteeing continuous glacier formation. From this area 2 different ice tongues are generated; the one going towards the South forms a huge and troubled flow which is interrupted by a rocky wall dividing the flow itself into two, thus, forming a ice cliff which is particulary active. The glacier tongue ends in a new lake at an altitude of about 2560 m…. our area of observation.
In summer, the crowd of trekkers invades the area. That’s why I prefer to let you live this unique atmosphere on Sunday, in the very morning when the place is silent and quiet.
The itinerary starts from the car parking at the foot of the dam of Gera Lake and runs along the left side of the lake itself through Alpe di Val Poschiavina and Alpe Gembrè, to reach Bignami hut where we will stay overnight.
On Sunday, we will reach the lake partly along the Marson glaciological path, an itinerary which enphasizes the unique geological characterstiques of the area.
Return to car park at the dam late afternoon.
POINTS OF INTERESTS
- Its Majesty Fellaria Glacier
- Living the place far from the crowded hours;
- Pastures where cheese is still produced.
Difficulty level: MEDIUM – DEMANDING
Terrain: partly on easy paths and partly on paths requiring sure footedness, particularly when approching the lake where the glacier ends.
Gradient: moderate and sometimes demanding.
Attention points: rocky paths. Exposed paths which could cause fear of the void.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 12 in good health conditions and used to walk on mountain paths, considering difference in altitude and distance to be walked.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Please prevent the Guide.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experience; closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point at 9.30am at the car parking near the dam after Campo Moro (Lanzada – Valmalenco; earlier meeting point in Lecco Bione on request;
- Excursion to the hut along pastures and accommodation; overnight stay;
- 7.30am breakfast;
- 8.30am excursion to glacier; packed lunch;
- Return to hut to take backpacks and back to car park late afternoon around 5pm;
ATTENTION: programme and itinerary may vary according to weather and paths conditions.
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
Excursion could be confirmed even if weather conditions are not good but safe for participants.
Any fees paid will be considered valid as a voucher on the next excursion – max validity 1 year – or refunded (only for foreign people).
In case of cancellation from the participant less than 3 days from the date, the relevant Guide fee cannot be refunded.
Adults: € 60.00 for the weekend
Childrene and teens: € 45.00 for the weekend
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group for 2 days (saturday and Sunday)- AIGAE LO639; liability insurance.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance for participants; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
EXTRA COSTS to be paid CASH on site
69 € half board (beverages not included)
59 € half board member CAI
3 € disposable sheet bag in case you do not have yours
RESERVATION WITHIN Saturday, 25th June 22
ACCOMMODATION WILL BE ONLY IN 4/6/8 PEOPLE DORMITORY.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS (teens included): 11
Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.it.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact
Car parking is at the end of the road to Campo Moro, under the dam of Gera Lake.
Paid car parking: 8 euros for 2 days to be paid cash BUT ONLY COINS, credit card or easy park (+ commission).
On request, earlier meeting point in Lecco Bione to share cars and travel costs.
Car-pooling according to rules in force and sharing of costs among passengers.
- Please let me know in case you are willing to share your cars with people coming from your same area of residence in order to meet any requests.
- Hiking shoes are required having gripping soles to walk safely on any terrain and in any season;
- Hiking poles considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy;
- Backpack (50 to 60 l) to carry snacks for 2 days, water at least for one day, packed lunch for 1 or 2 days (on request sandwiches can be prepared at the hut), spare clothes, night clothes, sack cloth and pillowcase, slippers, towels and personal belongings;
- Small folding backpack for half day belongings to carry in the main backpack;
- Packed lunch for 1 or 2 days (on request sandwiches available at the hut);
- Dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain stopper in case of summer storms or instable weather
ONLY ONE BACKPACK TO BE CARRIED WHILE WALKING
A SUITABLE AND SAFE BACKPACK INCLUDES CORRECT SHOULDER AND LUMBAR STRAPS AND SHOUL NOT BE CHARGED OVER 15 TO 20% OF OWN BODY WEIGHT.
In case of doubt do not hesitate to contact me. More details as the excursion date is approaching.
ATTENTION: trekkers not adequately equipped will not be allowed to participate to the excursion.
According to rules in force on the days of the excursion