WEEK-END ON PASTURES from milking to BITTO cheese making
A medium effort 2-day excursion to experience cheese-making processes on summer pastures in the mountain where the world-famous Bitto is produced, and used to cook pizzoccheri, a typical dish in Valtellina since ancient times.
We will get to know the past, present and future history of cheese-making art and artists who are working hard but with passion; we will experience cheese making processes directly on pastures; we will enjoy wonderful panoramas on Valtellina and the mountains.
Albaredo Valley is well-know since ancient times for the production of BITTO cheese, a unique cheese which needs to be processed as it is milked, that’s why dairies are on pastures. A unique experience not to be missed.
Difference in altitude 400m
Distance km 7
Real walking time 3 hours
Max altitude 1900 m a.s.l.
Difference in altitude 100m ascent and 500m descent
Distance km 7
Real walking time 3 hours
Max altitude 1900m a.s.l.
POINTS OF INTEREST
– Local products tasting at the hut;
– Excursion on mountain pastures;
– Milking and cheese-making directly on site;
– Wonderful views on Valtellina and surrounding mountains;
Difficulty level: MEDIUM
Terrain: mmostly on mountain paths easy to walk on and only sometimes a little bit rocky. Trekking poles are recommended to reduce stress on joints and knees.
Gradient: moderate and constant.
Attention points: none.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 10 who are used to walk on mountain paths and on various terrains for two days, considering difference in altitude and distance to be walked.
Trekking shoes required with gripping Vibram soles.
Technical details are subject to change according to different decisions regarding the path due to weather conditions and path conditions, to the Guide discretion.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Do not hesitate to contact the Guide.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experience; closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point at 8.45am at the car parking in Via Rita Levi Montalcini in Morbegno in order to share cars to reach the car parking where the path starts;
- Excursion to the hut and accommodation; excursion to Laghetto di Lago, an alpine small lake. Return to hut and free break;
- 5.30pm – 8.30pm cheese making on the pastures;
- 8.30pm dinner and overnight;
- 8am cheese-making on pastures for Mascherpa (summer ricotta) production and breakfast;
- Short excursion to Pedroria pastures and return to hut for lunch; lunch at the hut or packed lunch;
- Around 4pm return to car park and end of the tour;
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
The Trek could be confirmed even though weather conditions are not perfect when safety for trekkers is guaranteed.
IN CASE OF EXTTREMELY WORSE WEATHER CONDITIONS THE EXCURSION WILL BE POSTPONED TO A DIFFERENT DATE.
Any fees paid will be considered valid as a voucher for the date on which the trek has been postponed.
In case you cannot participate, fees paid will be considered valid for a different excursion (validity max 1 year).
In case of cancellation by the deadline date for registration, no fees will be refunded.
Adults: € 60.00 for the weekend
Childrene and teens: € 50.00 for the weekend
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group for 2 days (saturday and Sunday)- AIGAE LO639; liability insurance; visit to dairy processes.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
EXTRA COSTS TO BE PAID ON THE DAY OF THE EXCURSION
55 € half board (both adults and children/teens)
8 € disposable sack cloth in case you do not have yours.
RESERVATION WIHIN FRIDAY 30th JULY 2021
How to participate
1) Register at the excursion at the relevant link on the website; pay the fee for the Guide for 2 days (60 EUROS PER PERSON);
2) Cost for the stay at the hut will be paid cash on the day of the excursion.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 5
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS (teens included): 18
Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.it.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact
Car parking in Via Rita Levi Montacini in Morbegno, large and gravel, is along the SS8 to Passo San Marco.
Private cars are to be shared according to the containment measures in force.
- Hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material to walk safely on any terrain and in any season;
- Hiking poles considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy;
- Backpack to carry snacks for 2 days, water at least for one day, packed lunch for 1 or 2 days (on request sandwiches can be prepared at the hut), spare clothes, night clothes, sack cloth and pillowcase, slippers, towels and personal belongings;
- Small folding backpack for half day belongings;
- Packed lunch for 1 or 2 days;
- Dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain stopper in case of summer storms or instable weather
In case of doubt do not hesitate to contact me. More details as the excursion date is approaching.
Participants are required to:
- wear their face masks inside;
- take some spare masks with you;
- interpersonal distance must be always guaranteed
- respect rules in force in case of car-sharing
- read participation rules;
- take some plastic bags to put personal sweaty clothes>/li>