WINE vs OLIVE OIL IN THE CANAVESE AREA, IN PIEDMONT, CLOSE TO VALLE D’AOSTA BORDER
An itinerary which will fascinate you for the uniqueness of pergola where vines are raised in this area of Piedmont, close to Valle D’Aosta border. Here rocks and wind create a peculiar microclimate where olive oil and vineyards can grow very well.
This area is known as Canavese, an historic region in Piedmont from Turin to Valle D’Aosta and from Biella to Vercelli, partly covering the inner depression of Ivrea morainic amphitheatre. The morainic amphitheatre is one of the most important morainic complexes having glacial origins in the Alps and in the world.
It is possible to stay overnight (see section Programme for details) and/or participate to the excursion on the previous day BALMETTI IN BORGOFRANCO Saturday, 8th October 22
Difference in altitude 220m
Distance km 6
Real walking time 3 hours
Max altitude 396 m a.s.l.
The path starts in Torre Daniele and runs up among terraced land exploiting at the utmost the cultivable surface and the advantages of rocks.
A short and easy path where the landscape created by olive groves and pergola vineyards will delight us.
In Settimo Vittone we will join the Francigena trail which we will follow to Montestrutto, where we will visit olive groves on terraces built by exploiting rock outcrops around the castle and the small San Giacomo church.
The excursion will end with a wonderful and pleasant tasting of oilve oil and wines in the local farmhouse La Turna.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Vineyards grown on pergola
- Rocks contributing to create a unique microclimate
- Terracing built requiring a great manpower effort on rocks
- Coexistence between olive oil and wine
- Olive oil and wine tasting experience
Difficulty level: MEDIUM
Terrain: mostly on mountain paths easy to walk on and only sometimes a little bit rocky. Trekking poles are recommended to reduce stress on joints and knees.
Gradient: light and constant a part from the short track at the beginning which is a little more demanding.
Attention points: slippery mule tracks according to season.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 10 in good health conditions and, however, used to walk on mountain paths and on various terrains considering difference in altitude and distance to be walked.
Trekking shoes required with gripping Vibram soles.
Dogs must be on a leash owing to the presence of wild animals in the wood and out of respect for other participants who could be afraid of or annoyed by them. Please, prevent the Guide.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experience; closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point at 8.45am at the car parking in Montestrutto at rocky climbing wall;
- Transfer by private car with driver (and one of our cars depending on number of participants) to the beginning of the path (20 min by car); Excursion among terraced wineyards and olive groves, forests and hamlets to Montestrutto; packed lunch in Nature; visit of olive groves in Montestrutto;
- Olive oil and wine tasting experience in a local farmhouse;
- End of the excursion;
In case you want to participate to the excursion on the previous day BALMETTI IN BORGOFRANCO on Saturday, 8th October 22
FOR ANY OVERNIGHT STAY, please direclty contact:
ROOMS TO BE CONFIRMED WITHIN 1ST OCTOBER
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
The Trek could be confirmed even though weather conditions are not perfect when safety for trekkers is guaranteed.
IN CASE OF EXTTREMELY WORSE WEATHER CONDITIONS THE EXCURSION WILL BE CANCELLED.
Any fees paid will be considered valid as a voucher for following excursions up to a validity of 1 year.
Any refund is due in case of cancellation by the participant less than 3 days BEFORE date of excursion.
Adults: € 30.00;
Childrene and teens up to 12: € 20.00
Inclusions: Nature Guide fee accompanying the group – AIGAE LO639; liability insurance; guide expenses.
Exclusions: any lunch and break; any tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance for participants; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
12 € Any tasting according to final programme on website.
8 – 5 € private transport (car with driver) OR 2 € public bus
Any overnight stay and dinner on the previous or following day according to final programme or on request.
RESERVATION WIHIN 2 days before excursion
ROOMS TO BE CONFIRMED WITHIN 1ST OCTOBER
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 3
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS (teens included): 15
Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rules available on my website www.trekandtaste.it.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact
Montestrutto is in the so called Alto canavese area and it can be easily reached from Milan and Turin direction Aosta. Exit Quincinetto and then follow direction Borgofranco D’Ivrea.
Large and free car parking.
Car-pooling according to rules in force and sharing of costs among passengers.
- Please let me know in case you are willing to share your cars with people coming from your same area of residence in order to meet any requests.
- Hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material to walk safely on any terrain and in any season;
- Hiking poles considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy;
- Backpack to carry snacks and water supplies, packed lunch, spare clothes and personal belongings;
- Dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain stopper in case of summer storms or instable weather
ATTENTION: trekkers not adequately equipped could be excluded from the excursion on the scheduled day .
According to rules in force on the day of the excursion