Bellano to Varenna along the famous Wayfarer path overlooking Lake Como
Discovering charming corners on the hills of Lake Como, moving panoramas, ancient mule tracks and small chapels where travellers prayed along the journey, forests of chestnuts and beech trees, olive groves, hamlets hidden in the hills.
Visit of Vezio Castle, the beloved castle by Queen Teodolinda, and Orrido of Bellano, a natural gorge created by the river Pioverna flowing from the Mount Grigna to Lake Como.
Packed Lunch in Nature …. we will buy local products in the ancient shops in Bellano!
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Vezio Castle and its legends
- Olive groves enjoying a unique microclimate
- Ancient hamlets hidden in the hills on Varenna Mount
- Wonderful panoramas on Lake Como
- The Orrido in Bellano
Certified Guida “Le vie del Viandante”: in case you have the passport “Le Vie del Viandante” don’t forget to take it to obtain stamp. Passport can be obtained only in Tourist office in Lecco.
Difference in altitude: 250 m
Distance: 8 km
Real walking time: 6 HOURS
Maximum altitude: 400 m a.s.l.
The itinerary starts from Bellano railway station and initially include the visit of the ancient village of Bellano. Thein it runs up along the Orrido and the mule tracks to Varenna Mount where we will visit Vezio Castle and its hamlet offering magnificient view on Bellagio and Lake Como.
Forests, olive groves, wonderful views on Lake Como, mule tracks where both piligrims and travellers such us Leonardo da Vinci used to walk from Milan to Switzerland; dry walls still visible and representing an important heritage for our region; ancient chapels along the way, the visible heritage of an ancient way of communication followed by piligrims as well as travellers.
Lunch will be in Nature.
The itinerary ends in Varenna railway station where you can take the train back to your destination.
Difficulty level – MEDIUM
Terrain: Itinerary on well-kept paths and mule tracks having slight slopes.
Gradient: moderate and constant.
Points of attention: none.
Itinerary suitable for adults and children/teens over 10 in good health conditions and used to walk on mountain paths, considering difference in altitude and length of the itinerary.
Trekking shoes are required to walk safely with gripping sole.
ATTENTION: DOGS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CASTELLO OF VEZIO OWING TO THE PRESENCE OF WILD RAPTORS.
The excursions I offer also aim at supporting local economic activities and at living unique experiences closely in touch with and with respect to people and places.
That’s why they often include tasting experiences and/or chance to buy local products directly from producers, mainly small local activities working hard and with passion to keep traditions alive;
That’s why groups I accompany are usually small … in order to meet and live local people and enter their lives and the calmness of the place on tiptoes.
The Cape Town Declaration in 2002 recognises that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterised by travel and tourism which:
- minimises negative economic, environmental and social impacts;
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes;
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged;
- is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
- Meeting point arounf 9.15am in Bellano railway station;
- 9.30am excursion in the old village of Bellano and visit of the Orrido; excursion along the Wayfarer trail;
- Lunch in a typical restaurant à la carte or in Nature;
- Visit ofVezio Castle;
- Return to Varenna railway station and back to destination.
Programme and/or itinerary may vary according to weather and/or path conditions in order to guarantee safety for participants.
The excursion can be cancelled or postponed anytime by the Guide at her absolute discretion, in case safe and proper conditions cannot be guaranteed following bad weather conditions on the day of the excursion or on the previous days.
Any fees paid will be considered valid as a voucher on the next excursion or refunded (for foreign people). Maximum validity of voucher: 1 year from date of first excursion.
In case of cancellation on the day or day before the excursion, no refund will be allowed.
Adults: € 20
Teens up to 12: 12 €
Inclusions: Nature Hiking Guide fee accompanying in English and/or French; liability insurance; guide expenses.
Exclusions: any lunch and break or tasting; any transport to the meeting point; injury insurance for participants; entrance to the Orrido and Vezio Castle; any service not included in the item “inclusions”.
Entrance to Orrido 5 € per person
Entrance to Vezio castle 5 € per person
Any lunch or tasting
Any overnight stay
B&B La Casa sul Sasso in Dervio
Reservation within Monday 4th July 2022 directly on the chart
+39 347 04 05 703.
Minors must be accompanied by an adult holding responsible.
Participation to the excursions implies unconditioned acceptance of the rulesavailable on my website www.trekandtaste.com.
INJURY INSURANCE FOR TREKKERS
Participation fee only includes liability insurance; no injury insurance coverage is provided to Participants to the excursion. It is advisable to take out a suitable injury insurance.
EIC Organization offer an annual injury insurance which can be activated by the Trip&Trek app and amounting to 10 euros per year, per person. The insurance is valid 1 year whenever you participate to an excursion with and AIGAE Guide. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bellano can be easily reached by train from Milan and Lecco.
Check train timetable
Per maggiori informazioni e dettagli contattare la Guida.
Please, contact the guide for further information +39 347 0405703
- hiking shoes are required, preferably high laced-up and having soles in Vibram material to walk safely on any terrain and in any season.
- hiking poles are recommanded considerably reducing stress on joints and knees; telescopic poles are very handy.
- backpack to carry personal belongings, spare clothing, and food and water supplies.
- packed lunch in nature;
- dress in layers according to the season (shirt, long-sleeved shirt, Fleece jacket or sweatshirt, rain and wind stopper jacket); rain poncho in case of unstable weather and summer storms.
Participants NOT adequately equipped will NOT be admitted to the excursion
FFP2 mask required on public transports